HP3000-L Archives

July 2005, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:05:44 EDT
John asks:

> I attended an air show at Fairchild Air Force Base outside Spokane,
>  Washington a while back.  They had an F-117 Stealth Fighter on display.
>  The plane was backed up to a hangar, making a view from the rear
>  impossible, and was surrounded by guards with rifles in hand.  It would
>  not have been wise to cross the yellow tape, I surmise.  Would any
>  aviation buffs care to speculate on what is so secret about the aft view
>  of that aircraft?

Not much, I would suspect. Holloman AFB, which is about 50 miles from where I
am, is the home to the F-117. They have it on open display quite often.
Indeed, they just held their 2005 air show a few months ago, and as you can see it
was a part of not only the static displays:

     http://www.holloman.af.mil/airshow2005/Static%20Displays.asp

but was also part of several fly-over events:

http://www.holloman.af.mil/airshow2005/Images/Sunburst%20Insert%20Online.pdf

It's been this way for quite a number of years now.

Wirt Atmar