HP3000-L Archives

July 2005, Week 3

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:50:57 -0800
The news appears not good, as what news has trickled out points to
Interex exiting under a cloud of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

This brings short term pain as we are but a few weeks from the
annual HP World Conference and many companies and individuals
have put many hours and dollars to work preparing for this conference.

However, the biggest loser I believe, is Customer Advocacy. Interex,
an independent voice for the HP customer, has always tried to be
true to the notion that the customer should have a forum for organized
advocacy so the truth regarding vendor products and services can be
heard. Not necessarily the large customer, but the small customer who
can band together with other small customers to present a common need
and/or position to HP. HP, as most large corporations, will listen
to their largest customers, but the small customers don't spend
enough to be heard individually.

So, as Interex disappears so vanishes the ability for the small and
seemingly insignificant customer to have any influence over a company
as large as HP. While this does not represent enough buying power to
have much of a negative influence over HP bottom line numbers, it does
reflect negatively upon HP's desire to understand all their customers
and to give all customers a chance to influence their product direction.
Maybe HP has decided they know better and have other ways to get input
from the small customer. If so, then great. Maybe all this means is that
HP is right and Interex has been wrong.

Or maybe HP is blinded by their size and has worked themselves into
a situation where they have the potential to begin rotting from
the inside while continuing to show a positive exterior. Only time
will tell as this might continue for many years with no perceivable
ill effects. But, if rot has taken hold then eventually the interior
will be totally destroyed and the whole of HP will be negatively affected.

Only time will tell, but for me, today I shed a tear not only for
those at Interex I have worked with over many years, but for that elusive
concept called Advocacy, which has vanished just as quickly as the jobs
of those that tried to support it.

duane