UTCSTAFF Archives

July 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Adam Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:38:01 -0400
> My students came to me today to point out an interesting anomaly
> with Onenet
> and Blackboard that you might like to try out.
>
> If you log into either program and then exit the internet without logging
> out, the next person to use either program is automatically taken to your
> account.

Why would you ever leave a computer without logging out of a secure
application?

You should absolutely always use the Logout button located at the top of the
Blackboard screen when you are finished. Doing anything less is not being
responsible for the security of your account. (However, if you close the
browser application completely but have not logged out, the next person to
open it will not be able to see your account.)

We advise you to:
1. Always, no matter what, log out of Blackboard when you are finished.
Blackboard, or any system, cannot be respinsible for security when the user
is not.
2. If possible, close the browser application.

Have I misunderstood what you're reporting? Is there some error? Please let
me know.

Adam Trowbridge
Online Technologies Coordinator
University of Tennessee Chattanooga