SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:01:44 -0400
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:32:41 -0400, Reef Fish
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:47:27 +1000, David Strike
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>(snip)
>>

>>Now bear in mind that this is the height of the OZ summer.  You'll need
>>plunge into Shelley Beach just to get cool -
>
>Your hyperbole, together with Mika's overestimate of a 75F when
>it'a unlikwly ro hir 70F, it does give me something to relate to
>the Mola Mola dive which you missed :-)  The water was estimated
>to be 70F but turned out to be 75F and I survived the entire
>dive in my 1 mil titanium. :-)  But wots the chance of seeing a
>Mola at Shalley in Feb.?   :-))  Although I have virtually
>unlimited luggage allowance (to include any dive gears) from
>Auckland to Sydney on da crooose, I would have to check very
>carefully whether my TWO pieces of 70 lb allowance on Continental
>is applicable for the Qantas tickie (booked by Continental) from
>LAX to Auckland.  :)  The last time I flew to Sydney from Cairnes,
>Sue and I left TWO 70 pieces of 70lb bags in Cairns, and STILL
>had to pack very carefully to make the abominably stringent luggage
>limits on Qantas!

The Qantas Bastas have completed foiled any OZ flying plans I had
previously envisioned possible!

First and foremost:  my CHECKED luggage limitation will be
one bag of 20 kilos.  And since I am not interested in paying $40
per extra kilo, and my empty luggage weighs about 8 kilos :-),
that means I'll have to travel NAKED during most of my 4 weeks
in NZ-OZ.

>And if Mika can make his DUAL mini-NEDfest in Janurary at Perth,
>what are the changes of having a Strike at Perth?  (A dangle of
>a freebie Qantas tickie is not entirely out of the question :-)).

Nevermind that potential "dangle"!  :-)   I could even dangle
MYSELF into a CO freebie on Qantas within OZ!  or between NZ and
OZ!

So, the REALTY of Qantas sets in.  My OZ plans will be limited to
TWO (Sue and moi) naked passengers in some 1-day mini OZ2006
Nedfest at Strike's Reef during Feb [1-6] 2006.  But I have
UNLIMITED crooze ship weight allowance to bring all the kangaroos
wambats and Tim Tams from Auckland, NZ!  :-)

-- Bob.