HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 5

From:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:27:03 -0500
Quoting Andrew Cartledge <[log in to unmask]>:

> Completely off the 3000 but this site spoils you when looking for help.
>
> I've tried the so called various PC discussion groups but no one wants to
> know (shame I hear you say) so I thought there might be some kind soul out
> there who might have a few clues.
>
> I've a SBS2003 server with one external and one internal card. Several XP
> boxes (as well as the 3k) hooked up to the (so called) network on my
> internal network.
>
> On booting one of these XP's and logging onto the domain I can access the
> shares but approx after three hours they drop off with 'clinetpc cannot be
> accessed network path cannot be found' type of message. All the net views
> etc show the PCs but I cannot get into them. Its strange after three hours
> so I think it must be either something expiring or something failing to re-
> register.
>
> has anyone experienced this in their office and/or provide any clues as to
> where to start (i.e. any good discussion groups out there) to an old HP
> hack who had enough trouble with the 3k let alone this microsoft malarkey.

If you're running DHCP on this server and the client PC's are getting their IP
addresses from it, check the "lease" time in the DHCP settings. It could be set
to 180 minutes and then dropping the IP addresses from the pool; meanwhile the
client PC's go on thinking they've got a valid IP that the server after the
timeout ignores.