HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:09:14 -0400
> Ah, yes, the world-famous Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine.

Again, I would like to suggest that people read Richard Feynman's works. He
was concerned over 40 years ago that our Country, and the world for that
matter, was becoming less scientific. In his book, he makes it plain that
just because he was accomplished, his word was no better than anyone else's
when making a scientific claim. A an idea does not become scientifically
proven based on a dual of pedigrees. True scientists try to poke holes in
their own theories. Each experiment adds more information to the pile and
all of these "successes" and "failures" add to the body of knowledge.

Accepting or rejecting the position of a some person or organization without
investigating the thought process behind the position requires faith, at
which point we have left the realm of science and have entered the domain of
religion and/or politics.

Mark W.