HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 1

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:16:53 -0400
Jose B. Aguilar wrote:

>Help !!!
>
>I need to replace a disk and I don't remeber what the steps are to do the
>reload. Any suggestions? I mean within reason.
>...BTW, we're on a 968 running MPEiX 6.0

Given the age and size of your system, an if the discs are original, it
probably would be a good time to replace all
off the discs. Kind of like replacing one tire that has gone flat, out
of a set that has 100,000+ miles on it :(

Even if they are newer discs, on a 968, I still would recommend
replacing all of them in this situation, as the discs as
a set represent a backup. If you reuse some of the discs and come to
find that you are missing some files
you will have not have a plan B(:

Also, I would do a partial to the last full, then a full backup for two
reasons: First, given an iffy disc drive,
I wouldn't want to waste any time backing up static files. Second, when
you do the reload you want to restore
from the partial first, then from the full with a keep option. This will
create locality on the discs which would be
important on a 968 limited memory type of system.

If you need further assistance, feel free to call or email me anytime.

Mike Hornsby
Beechglen Development Inc.
513-922-0509