HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:37:42 -0400
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:50:42 -0500, Denys Beauchemin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Roy Brown quipped:
>
>"Quite right. And isn't it interesting how evolution had its products
flying
>millions of years before ours did?"
>
>However, I have never seen one that size that flies at 40,000+ feet, at
600+
>miles per hour and can go for 6,000+ miles before stopping and that can
>carry 400+ people in "comfort".  We only took 70 years to do that, not 4.5
>billion years.  :-)
>
>Denys

a little longer then that if you consider that the first flying in a hot-
air-ballon took place in 1783.
If you conside this, then human-flying evolved from bordflight and
therefore took billion of years.

http://www.aviation-history.com/
Otto Lilienthal of Germany was a brilliant contributor to the conquest of
the air and made nearly 2,000 successful glider flights since 1891 in
sixteen seperate glider types. 1Lilienthal's book of aerodynamic data
published in 1889 "Der Vogelflug als Grundlage der Fliegekunst (Birdflight
as the Basis for Aviation)2 emphasized the curvature of a bird's wings as
the secret of lift.3 Lilienthal's book greatly influenced aeronautical
design and was the bible for the early designs of the Wright Brothers and
other early aviators