HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 1

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:09:19 -0500
> Gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>
> IF, you believe the Bible, then there is no room for evolution...  World was
> created by GOD in 6 literal days.

A day to the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousands is as a day.

You may interpret that as 6 literal days, but there are precedents in
Scripture that God accounts time as he wills and not always per our
convenience.

> How could God call his work "good" on the
> 6th day, if we had 'billions' of yrs of death/violence ?

(Physical) death is not "bad". Moses died. Paul died. Abraham died.
Death is the way our bodies are made. In fact, it is such an integral
part of our God-ordained existence that the absence of death is an
unequivocal miracle!

> BUT, different religious 'groups' to appease members, or whoever, try to
> work both bible/evolution together, creating more problems in the end.

What problems are those?

> When I lived up in South Bend, ND caught a lot of flack for an article in
> the South Bend Tribune where they were spending $$$ trying to find something
> related to evolution and the beginning of life...

Because of the religious ramifications, or because of other issues,
like limited funds for other programs?

> Too many people in the USA still think evolution is a bunch of bunk.  Over
> 50%.

I'd be interested in the source for that figure. Although, on the face
of it, I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of more of Americans cannot
accurately articulate what evolutionary theory says.

> Hence the big push to 'educate' young people in evolution in public
> schools.  Thus causing the uprising in KS, the upsurge in private schools,
> home schooling, web sites, ect.

Why the ' ' around educate?

> Again, you either 'believe' the Bible and its information and history, or
> you "believe" evolution, and its infinitesimal probabilities and theories,
> some of which contradict current laws of nature.

An infinitesimal probability is not a zero probability. Ergo, given
enough tries, even the most unlikely event will ultimately occur at
least once. Are you implying that if something is sufficiently
unlikely, it cannot be true?

Kim, you may be unable to live with the dichotomy of believing both
the Biblical account and the scientific account on this particular
topic, but I am comfortable with it. Can you explain the Trinity? Can
you explain how Jesus was both fully Man and fully God? Neither can I,
completely. And that doesn't affect my salvation, either, which is all
I'm really concerned about. Similarly, I cannot explain the disparity
of Bible vs. science, and I am not going to worry myself over it. As
humans, we fear the unknown and prefer everything explained. This is
one of those times we aren't going to get our wish until, as you say,
we die and all such arguments are moot.

God gave us reasoning and senses, and I'm sure it wasn't just to trip us up.