HP3000-L Archives

June 2005, Week 1

From:
russ smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
russ smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:54:04 -0700
John Lee wrote:

> So it's OK to say "I'm homosexual", but not OK to say "I'm
> heterosexual"?  The school sanctions overt homosexuality but not overt
> heterosexuality?
>
> John Lee
>

> At 01:34 PM 6/3/05 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> John writes:
>>
>> > My 16 year old daughter's sophomore high school class printed up T
>> shirts
>> >  (as every soph class does) with a cute "notice us" expression.  In
>> their
>> >  case, it was "score with the sophomores", or something to that
>> effect.  It
>> >  was not obscene or pornographic in any way.  It was a play on
>> words.  While
>> >  I don't advocate "scoring with sophomores" (especially my own
>> daughter), I
>> >  do think they have the right to say it.  The Asst. Principal made
>> them
>> take

The tshirt didn't say "Score with a Sophomore if you're of the opposite
Sex".

I haven't seen your daughter's yearbook, but my expectation is that the
school is accepting that a minority has the right to exist.

The Principal's actions were an attempt to supress promiscuity or what
he deemed to be sexually inappropriate mantras but there was no mention
of the need for that promiscuity to be of a heterosexual nature.

Would you prefer the school to allow students to walk around wearing
tshirts that said "Boff Like Crazy If You're Straight!" or something of
that ilk?

Hmmmmm,
Rs~