UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:03:40 -0400
Fritz Efaw wrote:
>> The work that went into securing this raise - ­a huge improvement over
>> the Governor’s initial proposal of a 1% raise and 1% bonus - ­was largely
>> accomplished by university employees who spoke out regarding our
>> stagnant wages and ever-increasing living expenses.  UT employees
>> began meeting with legislators in the fall of 2004 and traveled to
>> Nashville regularly during the 2005 legislative session.  We called
>> the governor’s office, e'mailed our state representatives, sent
>> hundreds of postcards advocating a flat raise, and held events
>> highlighting the need for fair wages.

Let's not kid ourselves.  The only reason we got any kind of raise at
all is because the courts approved the Governor's TennCare reforms.  I
don't care how many postcards you sent or how many legislators you met
with ... no TennCare reform = no raises for state employees.

>> Petersen’s memo also issues the call once again for more emphasis on
>> merit raises,

Good for him.  I'd like to see the *whole* raise pool be merit-based.

>> ... stating that the university “will continue to refine our
>> review processes to be able to expand merit recognition to other
>> groups in the future.”  While merit raises can recognize the hard work
>> of individuals, the UCW-CWA stands resolute against the implementation
>> of a merit raises system without first fixing the problems that exist
>> in the current wage structure.

The union stands resolute against the implementation of merit raises
because they recognize, well, ... merit.  My observation is that labor
unions seek to reward membership in the group and loyalty to the cause,
not merit.  It seems to be better if all the union members at a certain
level make the same amount without bringing pesky concerns like job
performance into the equation.

Or, if I'm wrong, could you please enlighten us as to the specific
problems that exist in "the current wage structure" (I didn't know there
was a "wage structure" _per se_ at UTC, at least not for faculty, which
is the group to which the merit raises apply) and when/under what
circumstances, if ever, the union plans to start supporting the idea of
merit raises?

>> ... as we gain more and more
>> ground in our organizing, we will gain more leverage in the state
>> legislature.

Just curious ... exactly how much ground is the union gaining?  How many
dues-paying members do you have at UTC, and how does that number compare
to, say, 6 months or a year ago?  Or do you have any other, objective,
measures of success besides claiming credit for a raise that, once the
TennCare issue was settled by the courts, was likely to occur in any case?

--
"One man with courage is a majority." -- Thomas Jefferson