UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Anne Wehunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Wehunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:52:41 -0400
BECKY MYATT NAMED LADY MOCS ASSISTANT COACH

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's
basketball head coach Wes Moore announced the appointment of Becky Myatt to
the position of assistant coach for the Lady Mocs.

"I knew of Becky as both a player and a coach," Moore said. "She had a
great career at Ole Miss starting at point her first couple of years then
moving to the two guard. Before that she was a great player at Hickman County."

Myatt, a former guard with Ole Miss, comes to Chattanooga from Harding
Academy in Memphis where she was the head coach of the girls' basketball
team for the last two years. Her coaching resume includes a five-year stint
at the helm of the AAU Tennessee Lady Tigers and was with the Tennessee
Celtics of the Junior Olympics for three years, two as assistant and one as
head coach.

"I wanted to get back to the college level," Myatt said. "These are the
type of players I coached in AAU. Coach Moore is a great coach and he has
the program headed in a good direction. I can learn a ton from him and I
hope to help with my Tennessee connections."

Prior to arriving at Ole Miss, Myatt played for Barry Wortman at Hickman
County High School in Bon Aqua, Tenn., where she was named Class AA "Miss
Basketball" for the state of Tennessee following her senior season.

With sophomore guards Laura Hall, Brooke Hand and Amy Mohr returning and
incoming freshman LaShandra McCoy entering the mix, Moore looks to Myatt to
help the perimeter players mature with the game.

"She's going to be outstanding with our guards," Moore said. "She will be
able to pass on her experience and knowledge of the game to our perimeter
players."

Myatt, a three-point shooter with wicked accuracy, became the 19th Lady
Rebel to score 1,000 points and finished her career ranked 14th on the
all-time scoring list with 1,193 points. She started all 117 games in her
career at Mississippi and closed out her time there with 445 rebounds, 232
treys, 333 assists and 133 steals.

She is the Lady Rebels' all-time three-point leader and holds three of the
top four spots for three-pointers made in a single season. She sank 63 her
senior year at Ole Miss and holds the single-season record for treys made
with 65 in 1998-99. Myatt is also tied for the most three-pointers in a
game with seven.

After her playing career ended at Ole Miss, Myatt served as a graduate
assistant under Lady Rebels' head coach Ron Aldy. While gaining valuable
experience from a coaching angle, her primary duties included coordinating
film exchange, maintaining correspondence with Alumni and Lady Rebels
supporters and other administrative duties.

Myatt spread her name throughout the Lady Rebel record book as she holds
the single season record for free-throw percentage at 88.3 percent in
1997-98 and also ranks second in career free-throw percentage at 80.0 percent.

Myatt graduated from Ole Miss in May 2001 with a Bachelor of Science degree
in Exercise Science and completed her Masters in Higher Education.

Myatt was born on January 29, 1979, and is the daughter of Larry and Wanda
Myatt of Bon Aqua, Tenn.

"Chattanooga is a good place to be and a good environment," Myatt said. "I
liked the players I got to meet and I liked Coach Nikki (Blassingame)."

Myatt will report for work Monday, June 20.

June 16, 2005
UTC Sports Information
www.GoMocs.com

Anne C. Wehunt