SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2005

From:
Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:08:29 -0400
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:02:04 -0400 Reef Fish wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:49:00 -0400, Michael Levy <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:27:55 -0400 Reef Fish wrote:

> >> Could be.  Don't even KNOW what that is, but I didn't turn it off.
> >> I seem to get SPAM nude pictures that seem to be in frames.  :-)
> >
> >Do you launch the above link or maybe a typo...
>
> No typo.  Tried click and cut and paste and even the higher branch.
> Nothing worked.  Clobbered my IE and disconnected my ISP.

Ah well... such is life.
Though it seems fishy that you have such difficulty when my connection
is always unaffected. I guess it is only for us unwashed non-chinese. ;-)

> >> What Chinese character do you get for Ling-Ling if you get
> >> nothing for Ling?  The Panda wants to know.
> >
> >I did get something for Ling but it was not the same character as lin.
>
> Then its Beijing local.  Not Chinese!  In the vernacular Chinese
> there is only one character for the surname double-wood.

Go to http://www.zhongwen.com/ then click on search at top then enter
lin and then ling in the box next to input pinyin.

Please follow the above directions and look at what it displays.
It seems to show several choices for each word by having accents over
the i... is this to show different sounds?

The output being characters will allow you to tell me what is going on.
Maybe they are not all Chinese...
Get back to me after you have looked at the output....

snip...

> What content drift?  That was the MAIN THEME of Robert's and your
> theory about languages by SOUND rather than written language.
> According to the theory you and Robert subscribe, there would
> be a dozen different French languages.  Why aren't there?

I have no theory as I have no understanding of the language.. all I did
was show where another source suggested the concept of multiple
languages.

--
Michael