HP3000-L Archives

May 2005, Week 3

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 13:59:20 -0700
On May 20, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Wirt Atmar wrote:

> No, no, no!
>
> The Devil is only making you "think" that water freezes at 32 degrees,
> just
> as he's put fossils into the ground to fool the foolish into thinking
> that the
> world is older than 6000 yrs.
>
> If you believe your eyes and your head -- and not the glory of unseen
> forces
> -- you're not fit to enter into the gates of Heaven.
>
> Repent now and give up all worldly logic, before it's too late. The
> Rapture
> may come at any minute, and you will not be saved otherwise.

Having a bad day?

Incidentally, see if you can find a copy of last week's _Nature_ -- too
many fun papers to list here, but it's one of those rare issues where
almost every paper has some surprising bit in it. Jellyfish eyes found
-- camera eyes with image-forming, graded-index lenses, in an animal
having no central nervous system. And a bunch more. Great fun.

(I suppose that the issues that are filled with papers on new, more
precise measurements of some obscure rheological property of some
obscure mineral induce the same reaction in geologists, but I wouldn't
know.)

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback       (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.          (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142    | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                 | It gives a lovely light.
[log in to unmask]                 |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay