HP3000-L Archives

May 2005, Week 1

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 09:52:18 -0500
Behalf
> Of Denys Beauchemin
> Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:32 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: OT: Evolution, Question 2
>
> I suspect this was Wirt's answers to my questions.
>
> Let me just say that saying photoreceptive eyes have evolved 39 times
> certainly does nothing to explain to me HOW they did so.
>
> And actually, unlike Roy, I really have no problems with the
bombardier
> beetle.  The first time I ever heard or read about that critter was in
> Dawkins book a few weeks ago, at about 39,000 feet over the Atlantic
going
> about 620MPH with the external temperature at a balmy 67 degrees
> Fahrenheit
> below zero, in the comfort of a nice first class seat, listening to
music
> with a Grand Marnier in hand.
>
> According to Dawkins, (and Wirt), the Creationists bring up that
beetle a
> lot, not being in that circle, I will have to take their word for it.
> do
> think Dawkins has a very difficult time explaining something that
should
> really be quite simple.
>
> Further, if Wirt is to be believed and that Creationists are really
using
> the B.B. as an example of where the theory of evolution has
difficulties,
> should think they are hanging their collective hats on a weak premise.
> There are much better things to question.

I agree... I think the best example is the Babel Fish:

A Babel fish is a highly improbable biological universal translator. It
appears as a "small, yellow and leechlike" fish. When a Babel fish is
inserted into the ear canal it allows the 'wearer' to "instantly
understand anything said... in any form of language." This was both a
useful plot device for Adams, who wrote on the subject that he always
found the ability of all aliens to speak English very strange; and also
the starting point for a joke about the existence of God.

According to the Hitchhiker's Guide, the Babel fish was put forth as a
fideist example for the non-existence of God:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and
without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could
not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore,
by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes
in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that
black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.