HP3000-L Archives

May 2005, Week 1

From:
john pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 15:54:04 +1000
And in summary, each time a random mutation produced a variant organism with
increased ability to perceive light and process it, it survived better than
those variants who did not.....???
So when we run of energy and the world cools down, those with wolfman
syndrome (hyper -something? Producing excessive body hair) will be selected
for survival ahead of the rest of us..?

jp

Denys writes:

> I suspect this was Wirt's answers to my questions.
>
>  Let me just say that saying photoreceptive eyes have evolved 39 times
>  certainly does nothing to explain to me HOW they did so.

>  I really look forward to that explanation.

The explanation is simple, and enormously simpler than I suspect that you
may
believe it to be. The basic answer is that light is pronouncedly active
chemical catalyst, particularly light at the blue end of the spectrum. Blue
light

<<<<SNIPPED>>>>
But the convergences don't end there. The extraordinary convergences don't
lie in the mechanical construction of the eyes themselves but in the
information
processing structures that lie right behind the eye.

I'll hold that lecture for later.

Wirt Atmar