SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 12:47:12 -0400
On Mon, 9 May 2005 12:02:18 -0400, Reef Fish
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Mon, 9 May 2005 15:09:22 +0000, Ed Graves <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>"The girl, the gold watch, and everything" is a book by John MacDonald.
>I probably still have a copy of it in my garage.  It was also made into
>a 'b' movie.
>
>No wonder I couldn't relate to THIS one.  I never read a fictional book.

I must qualify my statement and correct myself.

I never read a fictional book (in its entirety or more than 25% of it),
to be more precise.

I did read about 25% of one fictional book in college because I was
coherced into doing it because I had to regurtitate something from
the fiction pages to get a good grade!  :-)  As a result of that
mandatory reading, I not only got a good grade, an A+ in a term paper
on "Concepts of God" in which I more or less said the "Christian God"
was a very naive notion of the "concept of god,"  I won a coveted
BIBLE prize (one given a year), with a citation signed by the Professor
and President of the College, "Presented to <da Feeesh> for excellence
in Bible Study during 1959", together with a copy of the Revised Standard
Version of the Holy Bible (coyright 1952).

I still ask those who attend churches to show off their Sunday clothes
and seasonal fashions;  and those whose prayers drone on and on publicly,
quite OBVIOUSLY not as a prayer to God, but a piece of platitude Jesus
had told the Parisees NOT to do, to impress those in the audience -- why
the modern church goers don't heed this passage in the Bible:

  Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the
  hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues
  and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....
  when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut
  thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

When a preacher, or an ordinary citizen for that matter, starts on
a 3-minute prayer with, "Dear Load, creator of Heaven and Earth, the
moon, the galaxies and the universe, Father of our Savior Jesus,
designer of ALL beautiful Cadillacs and Mercedes Benz, and the
Master Chef behind Kentudky Fried Chicken's Original recipe, ..."

You KNOW that praying modern Pharisee is not exactly "praying" to
god, or should so be praying, according to St. Matthew.

Sorry ... my Sunday Sermon spilled over to Monday because I was too
busy with Math Number Quiz on Sunday.  :-)

La Poisson.