SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 11:00:42 -0400
On Mon, 9 May 2005 07:17:44 -0700, David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

< Thanks for the "Recovery for Dummies" tutorial >

>(As I put it, I got the
>girl, the gold watch, and everything. Nobody
>understood that one.)

I don't either, but I can relate to it.  my 1991 (no typo there)
laptop  (which the boobie birds in Coco's island (1992) crapped all
over it when they found their way into the dining room of the
Okeanos Aggressor, and I thought the crew had spilt MILK on it when
they were having a birthday party) is STILL in use for the powerful
SPEAKEASY computer language and progrmas will on it.  On THAT antique
laptop (TI) I have a working gold Rolex watch which uses the full
screen as a clock, showing the second hand movement of the Rolex,
the Submariner version. :-)   Of course the girl could be one of
many ASCII girls of yester-years.

That's my THIRD laptop which I didn't even count.  Sue also have
two desktops (1996 and 2004) on her desk.  So, in total, we have
ALMOST as many PCs and laptops as we had DIVE computers at one
time.

>You can get these sized for either notebook or desktop
>drives. They are cheap, easy to set up, and so you
>have little to lose if you want to try recovering
>data. (If you look around the Internet, you can find
>them even cheaper. Check http://www.bensbargains.net
>as some are frequently listed there.)

Will definitely check these out, and also some comparable
alternatives in local stores.

>The hardest part is properly seating the hard drive
>into the enclosure. You have to be careful not to bend
>the connection pins. Then plug it into the USB port,
>then it should show up as a removable drive on your
>computer just like a digital camera does. Then just
>copy or move files as you desire.

Sounds neat.

>It certainly makes an excellent backup device. You can
>buy them complete with hard drive at most of the
>computer stores. USB 2.0 external hard drives are
>frequently advertised at CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.

No CompUSA in Choo CHoo, but we have Circuit City, Best
Buy, and Office Depot selling comparable stuff.

>Hope that helps!

Indeed.  Thanks.

La Poisson.