SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2005

From:
John Luedeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 10:52:03 -0400
Official solution:
Scenario 1:  Move each tenant to the next higher room number.  In this case
room 1 becomes free for La Poisson.
Scenario 2:  Move each tenant to the room with double their room number
(e.g. tenant of room n goes to room 2n).  In this case, the odd numbered
rooms are free so Herr Banach can assign waiting customer k to room 2k-1
(e.g. the first in line goes to room 1, the second to room 3, the third to
room 5, etc.)

Are these e-mails teaching a fish in a school?

John K. Luedeman
Professor Emeritus of Mathematical Sciences and Teacher Education
Clemson University
864 882-6735 (H)
864 656-5129 (O)