SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2005 10:17:28 -0400
On Sat, 7 May 2005 23:09:12 -0500, John Nitrox <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>         I remember in high school everything was googleplex to the
>googleplex and nowadays Google seems like enough.

http://www.googolplexian.com/

 I used to make the SAME mistake between "google" and "googol".  :-)
But I noticed later that it was self-correcting, as you did.

>Gossip has it that all the
>real numbers between 0 and 1 come to more than all the integers which,
>rumor has it, is infinite.

That's nothing!  There are more real numbers between 0 and 1/googolplex
than there are integers.

There are more fractional (rational) numbers between 0 and 1 than
there are all the integers.

>So, I'm just waiting to find out what's going
>on with these numbers, and I think that participation by NEDs should be
>mandatory.  :-)

What's going on gets into the mathematics of "infinity" -- or different
grades (or cardinality) of infinity, counted by the alephs.  :-)

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/I/infinity.html

The smallest infinity is aleph0 <aleph-null>.  They are "countable".
The integers and rationals belong to the smallest aleph.
The set of reals has cardinality aleph1.
There are (countably) infinitely many alephs.  :-)
http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/infinity/page.html

So, if you think all infinities are BIG, you need to rethink again.

La Poisson.