HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:40:07 EDT
Roy writes:

> Unlike Denys, I have no trouble with the eye; there are still creatures
>  out there with the first primitive nerve pits, and ones with the six or
>  seven different goes that nature had at inventing the eye in different
>  ways and different places.

Photoreceptive eyes have been estimated to have evolved 39 times
independently, with complex, fully image-forming eyes having evolved independently three
times, once each in the molluscs, the arthropods and in the vertebrates.

>  But the bombardier beetle does indeed seem unlikely; I wonder if there
>  are creatures out there with protean versions of its capabilities?
>  Though I can see why we might never discover the shattered remains of
>  the failed mutations that didn't go in quite the right direction :-)

If you go to Google and type:

     bombardier beetle evolution

you will be overwhelmed with creationist nonsense.  Apparently they have
taken these animals up as their most recent proof that evolution could not work.
The argument is that the system of chemical defense is too complex to have
evolved on its on, nor could it have worked at any intermediate stage, piecemeal
and incomplete. Given these few statements, the only logical conclusion is that
only God could have made the beetle.

Of course, none of that is true. Bombardier beetles are in the family
Carabidae (ground beetles), a very large family of insects, and the carabids are just
one family in the suborder Adephaga, containing about 40,000 species. All
ground beetles and other adephagan beetles have paired pygidial glands that
produce a wide variety of chemical compounds used in chemical defense.

Chemical defenses are not rare in insects, as anyone who has been stung by a
bee, ant or wasp would know. But unfortunately, hardly anyone puts beetles in
their mouth, so they don't have first-hand experience with the exceedingly
distasteful quality of most ground-dwelling insects' defenses. Most insects,
including most adephagan beetles, do not propel their defensive chemicals. Rather,
they only ooze their defensive chemicals from their skin, and of those
defenses, quinones are among the most common of chemicals. From this little bit of
knowledge, it's not hard to imagine that the bombardier beetles are only the
most exaggerated form of an exceedingly common defensive structure.

For more than you might want to know on this group of animals, please see:

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/courses/en570/papers_1996/miller.htm

The person most well-known for his work on the chemical ecology of insects is
Thomas Eisner of Cornell. One of his recent papers on bombardier beetles is:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/96/17/9705.pdf

He outlines the ecological impetus for the evolution of the beetles'
extraordinary talents in the first few paragraphs:

"Beetles have a problem. Unlike flies, butterflies, dragonflies, and many
other insects, they cannot as a rule take instantly to the air. To activate the
wings they must first unfurl these from beneath the wing covers (the elytra),
and this takes time. Delays are unaffordable in emergencies, and it should come
as no surprise that many beetles have evolved means for ‘‘buying time’’
when under attack. The species of the family Carabidae, the so-called ground
beetles, are a case in point. Living at soil level, carabids are in constant
danger from ants, against which they are protected by their dischargeable defensive
glands (1–3). Paired devices, these glands take the form of more or less
capacious sacs, lying side by side in the abdomen and opening on the abdominal tip
(4, 5). Diverse toxicants are produced by these glands, often at high
concentrations, including acids, aldehydes, phenols, and quinones (2, 3). Most
carabids are able to eject these fluids forcibly, in the form of
sprays (5–9).

"Ants can attack from virtually any direction and, for maximal effectiveness,
need to be targeted to be repelled. Not surprisingly, many carabids have the
capacity to aim their spray in different directions (5–9). None are perhaps
better marksmen than the so-called bombardier beetles, as we document here
photographically for one species, the African Stenaptinus insignis.

"The spray of bombardier beetles contains p-benzoquinones (10), compounds
well known for their irritant properties (11). A single bombardier beetle can
discharge upward of 20 times before depleting its glands (6). The discharges are
accompanied by audible detonations, and they have been shown to be potently
deterrent to a number of predators, including ants (6, 12–15)."

Wirt Atmar