HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:34:27 -0700
Re:

> What was the first?

I thought you'd never ask :)

A hospital had a job with a process that had been running for about
a week.  The process was, in addition to other work, writing
records to a fixed size logfile.  The manager projected that
the log file would fill up about 12 hours before the process
finished, causing the process to abort and a week's worth of
work to go down the drain.  (At the time, I had the impression
that the work somehow affected patient's health ... something
I found out an hour ago wasn't true, but that the abort would affect
the financial health of the company that provided the software.)

The client said they didn't really care about the logging output ...
was there anyway I could prevent the abort?

(This was probably back in the days of MPE XL 3.0.)

I did some experiments on my local 3000, and then
I dialed in to their MPE XL system and managed to reset the
"current record pointer" for their open logfile back to 0.
This allowed their application to run to completion without
hitting the EOF.
IIRC, they sent me a bottle of Vintage Port as a "thank you".
(1963 is my favorite, BTW :)

(Speaking of "thank you" gifts, I'm glad Sees Candies has a 3000 :)

This kind of thing, in a nutshell, is why I like MPE/iX more than
any other major operating system.  It gives you the power
to get things *done*.

Debug/iX is the most underrated feature of MPE/iX.

--
Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html                  www.sieler.com