HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:03:17 EDT
Denys writes:

> Thanks Wirt.  I am printing out the message and I will read it on the plane.
>  I am going into "hostile territory" (Ok, it's Europe,) for a week but I
hope
>  to have email access.
>
>  I am just telling you this so you don't feel bad when I don't answer right
>  away.

Be sure to print out all of the images that I referenced before you go. The
text I wrote won't make much sense without them.

>  A few people privately recommended "The Ancestor's Tale."  I will be
picking
>  it up shortly.

Dawkins is an excellent writer, but like all "silver-tongued devils," you
have to pause every so often and reflect on what he's written and see if you
agree with it. My agreement level tends to run at about 30%. But quite often he
writes something that I profoundly agree with. Here's one of his quotes that I
use often in my own writings or lectures:

"A few years ago, if you had asked almost any biologist what was special
about living things as opposed to nonliving things, he would have told you about a
special substance called protoplasm. Protoplasm wasn’t like any other
substance; it was vital, vibrant, throbbing, pulsating, “irritable” (a schoolmarmish
way of saying responsive). . . .

"When I was a schoolboy, elderly textbook authors still wrote about
protoplasm, although, by then, they really should have known better. Nowadays, you
never hear or see the word. It is as dead as phlogiston and the universal aether.
There is nothing special about the substances from which living things are
made. Living things are collections of molecules, like everything else. What is
special is that these molecules are put together in much more complicated
patterns than the molecules of nonliving things, and this putting together is done
by following programs, sets of instructions for how to develop, which the
organisms carry around inside themselves. Maybe they do vibrate and throb and
pulsate with “irritability,” and glow with “living” warmth, but these properties
all emerge incidentally. What lies at the heart of every living thing is not
a fire, not warm breath, not a “spark of life.” It is information, words,
instructions. If you want a metaphor, don’t think of fires and sparks and breath.
Think, instead, of a billion discrete, digital characters carved in tablets
of crystal. If you want to understand life, don’t think about vibrant,
throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology."

     --  "The Blind Watchmaker" (1987):pp. 111-112

Wirt Atmar