HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:52:29 -0700
Hi All :)
    Honest, no disrespect intended, I need edumacation question :)  And I
put an OT on it for Donna and others :)

    Background of Question:
    When I took Journalism class back in '78 ... I was taught that any
piece written under a byline (nom de plum (sp) or otherwise) could contain
opinion and/or outright fiction... but you couldn't attribute opinion
and/or fiction as a quote by someone or as fact.
    I was further taught that if there wasn't a byline then the piece must
contain the 5 W's of the story in the first 1-3 inches of text.

    I notice that all stories I read in all papers seem to have bylines...

    Actual Question:
     Are the rules of Journalism I was taught no longer followed or are
bylines always printed now so we know who wrote the piece?

 No attempt to pick on any paper/magazine or otherwise... I just know that
when the "Better Half" and I read the Oregonian (local fish wrapper) we
have to read the entire article to get 2 or 3 out of the 5 W's and they are
notorious for not getting thos details in there...

 Side note: I did see that in the current issue of InfoWorld that the
Editor in Chief has had several (4 I think) articles changed because some
of the quotes in the stories couldn't be confirmed and the author would not
supply the information to Infoworld on who said what.  The Editor in Chief
pointed out that InfoWorld took action as soon as the situation was
noticed... Which  Ithink is good...

 InfoWorld is a leading trade mag... and how they handle it will be
interesting to watch...

Change of Subject:
Again an honest question... can only human "stem" cells be used in the
research being done?  I know we have seen other mammal's organs used for
medical procedures with humans... is this possible with "stem" cells?  I am
guessing not... but maybe?

Art "asking to be Edumacated :) " Bahrs

Art Bahrs, CISSP           Information Security          The Regence Group
(503) 553-1425              FAX (503) 553-1453

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.