HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:21:53 EDT
Shawn writes:

> if they are a dime a dozen then I don't understand your hand wringing over
> the fact that the administration isn't going to fund any further
> research.  I feel like I'm walking in a roundabout in this conversation
> with you, it's all about misdirection.

Either that, or a purposeful willingness not to listen.

The core of the problem is that the federal granting agencies are prohibited
by personal whims from funding the most obvious and therefore the most likely
beneficial form of research. But, as you have written, none of these
prohibitions apply to state and private research, thus the immediate result has been
the intense effort that is currently ramping up in California, Massachussetts
and elsewhere, something that I believe we can all agree upon is only to the
good.*

Wirt Atmar

*Don't write back and say that you don't agree with this statement either. I
know you don't. It's a gentle poke in the ribs.