HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:31:59 -0400
Mike:

Do you know if Howmessy will tell me when master dataset_a has nn% synonyms
(nn > zero) and if it will give me the actual key values (Image record
numbers too) of the offending primary entry and its synonym records?

I would like to see the actual data that is making up these stats.

Brian.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:01:59 -0400, Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>**Jay Willis wrote:
>
> >What to look for in a Howmessy report that would indicate that a
>dataset needs to be re-packed, >or capacity change needed to be done?
> >We'd rather not do a detpack on a regular basis - just when one is
>indicated.
>
>We have a free updated Data Base Loading Program called DBLOADSX at:
>http://www.beechglen.com/mpe/downloads.html
>The elongation statistics must take into account the prefetching performed
to correctly reflect the number of
>IOs that are actually generated.
>
>In my experience, the first thing I look for is not in the detail
datasets, but the max blocks in the master
>datasets. For non integer key types, a large max blocks value can indicate
a clustering problem.

><plug>
>As part of Beechglen's support service we include a Performance Monitor
and an Image dataset capacity monitor.
>The performance monitor can summarize the IO being generated by Program
and by Session/Job id. IMHO, this is the
>best method to work backwards to database tuning tasks. The dataset
capacity monitor projects fill rates and suggests
>capacity changes. It also monitors the amount of free disc space required
to repack or resize the largest dataset.