HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:06:49 -0500
Bruce, please do not worry about taking my side; you are simply defending
what you consider to be reality.  It just happens that you and I are aware
of the same reality here.

You will notice that I didn't say "truth."  I said reality for a reason.
The asbestos scare was driven forward, bulldozing any inkling of impartial
investigation, by militants intent on a certain agenda.  Research into the
matter is only in one direction. You figure out which one.

Indeed, the blue asbestos is 500 times more likely to cause mesothelioma
than the white asbestos and 50 times more likely to cause lung cancer.  Blue
asbestos hasn't been used in NA since the 1930s.  Also, cigarette smoking
appears to be a required contributing factor in order to get the above
diseases from asbestos inhalation.

However, in the panic to rip out asbestos that was safely used in buildings,
homes and schools, the government mandated its removal at extreme costs and
creating huge health problems.  Who can forget the pictures of asbestos
removal workers encased in "spacesuits" looking for and disturbing asbestos
in classrooms full of kids?

Yes, asbestos can be a health hazard when it is mined and when it is
disturbed.  If left alone, it's inert and safe, and highly useful.  It has
been in use for centuries for a reason.

If you do a search on mesothelioma on the web, you will uncover a myriad
lawyers web sites, dedicated to suing companies.  That's who won.

These asbestos removal mandates cost the taxpayer hundreds of billions of
dollars and deeply affected the school budgets all across the nation.  In
effect, we transferred huge sums of money from school budgets to lawyers and
then we complain about the state of education.  :-)

In the final analysis, we lost the space shuttle Challenger and 3000 people
at the WTC because of mandates that made lawyers richer.

What happened with asbestos is the same that happened with DDT and CFCs.  In
the first case, we can no longer use what had been considered a cheap and
safe miracle compound, to control disease-bearing mosquitoes and so, the
world loses 1 to 2 million people needlessly every year.  In the latter
case, we can no longer use a cheap, safe, inert method of refrigeration (and
other uses,) forcing us to use more dangerous alternatives, all on the basis
of bad or at the very least, highly questionable science.

As for Kyoto, ask yourself what is the biggest "greenhouse effect" gas in
the atmosphere.  Go from there.

My point is that "common knowledge" or "conventional wisdom" about
scientific issues is not always right.  Our knowledge expands all the time
yet we cling to myths because we are bullied into doing so.  In many
respects, we have not come very far from the folks who believed the Earth
was at the center of the universe and/or flat.  Whilst we may not burn
heretics (right away), we can make sure to stifle the voices of dissent.

And that is very sad.

Denys