HP3000-L Archives

April 2005, Week 1

From:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Smithson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:40:47 +0100
Hi,

I've got a very simple COBOL program using VPLUS.  It shows a form and does
a VREADFIELDS.  If the user hits F5 then I turn autoread on and do another
VREADFIELDS, then I trun auto read off and go back to the
showform/readfields loop.

If they hit anything other than F5, the program terminates.

With Reflections it all acts as normal - even when I enable type ahead from
the settings menu and hold the F5 key down or press it as fast as I can.

With QCTerm, the program will exit after a few loops if I go mad with the F5
key as before.

I think this is what happens -

1) User hits F5 twice really qucikly.
1b) VREADFIELDS takes the key and sends a lock keyboard escape sequence (too
late to stop the 2nd F5).
2) The 2nd VREADFIELDS in auto mode sends an escape sequence to ask for the
screen contents
3) VREADFIELDS is expecting to get the screen contents but the 2nd F5 is
first on the input stream. So this 2nd VREADFIELDS gets the 2nd F5.
4) Program loops back to main VREADFIELDS and now gets the screen contents
that the previous VREADFIELDS wanted.
5) The program thinks the user didn't hit F5 so it terminates.

I can only imagine that Reflection leaves a decent pause between sending
function keys?

Cheers

Peter
--