HP3000-L Archives

March 2005, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:10:48 -0800
donna garverick wrote:
> --- Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Paul Edwards wrote:
>>
>>>19. perl -- it is on invent3k and you can compile it yourself but
>>>the request is to just be able to install it.
>>
>>I'm confused about what this item is asking for.
>>
>>Old Perl binaries for MPE are available from
>>http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/hp_freeware/perl/.  You can install
>>this without having to compile it yourself.
>>
>>Or have I completely misunderstood the item?
>

> it's not old perl....it's the last/latest ported perl.        - d

Invent3k has perl 5.8.1 which is already "old" when you consider that the
latest & greatest stable release available from perl.com is 5.8.6.

I don't envision having any sudden surplus of personal bixby.org free time to
devote to porting things to MPE.

If a huge groundswell of customer support happens for item 19, and if we (vCSY)
decided that item 19 made sense, and if I then proceeded to port 5.8.6+ on HP
time, then what?  Newer versions of the source would still flow forth from
perl.com, and you'd be back where you are today with "old" Perl binaries for MPE.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again -- it's not that difficult
to update these open source apps yourselves if somebody else like me or Mark
Klein or Lars Appel or whoever has already done the hard part by performing the
initial port.

Anybody who is going to be using these Unix open source apps on MPE beyond
12/31/06 seriously needs to become self-sufficient and develop the necessary
porting skills to keep the apps fresh if you have a need to stay on the leading
edge.

Still waiting for OpenMPE?  You already have it for these open source apps
ported from Unix.  ;-)
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...