HP3000-L Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
donna garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:13:57 -0800

not on mpe.  it's not unix.

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve system performance?

we don't have enough details to even begin to answer your question.
we'd need to know what system you've got, how much memory, disc and
os-level.  and that's only a start....

> Running MetaView/3000 Performance Manager does not show that there is
> an excessive use of CPU though as shown below.

gee...if you've got metaview...have you asked lund this question?
that's their business....

> The CPU was used a total of 55.3% of its capacity during this
> interval <GI01>

55% is not a problem

> Process CPU use by Sub-Queue: AQ-.0 BQ-14.1 CQ-2.4 DQ-36.0 EQ-.0
> <GI02>

this looks good too

> Native Mode to Comp. Mode Switch rate during this interval was
> EXCESSIVE <GE02>
> Comp. Mode to Native Mode Switch rate during this interval was
> EXCESSIVE <GE03>

you probably have some code that would benefit from being recompiled to
native mode

> Disc I/O indicator #1 (CPU Pause Disc) reveals a MODERATE I/O
> Bottleneck <DE01>
> This interval's 'Hog' process was J10658 (PIN 484) with 30.3% of the
> CPU <PI02>
> This interval's highest disc I/O user was J10658 (PIN 484) with 39
> I/O's <PI03>
> This interval's highest Term I/O user was S2193 (PIN 538) with 9 Term
> Read <PI04>

i don't find any of these numbers to be alarming.  perhaps there's more
detail you could provide?        - d

Donna Garverick, HP-CSA   Sr. System Programmer
dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com
925-210-6631              Longs Drug Stores

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson