HP3000-L Archives

March 2005, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:04:10 EST
Peter writes:

> >2. Make sure that the job JINETD is running.
>  >

>  I don't think that can be the problem - my collegue can log in but I can't.
>
>  Since my original posting, I've got hold of a copy of Reflection and I
can't
>  get in with that either.  I'm using the same settings as my collegue (using
>  port 23 - he uses the same setup for UNIX).
>
>  So I think I can rule out any settings on MPE or on the PC's.  Must be some
>  strange network type problem (we're in different offices and use VPN to
>  connect to the customer).  I'm not sure how it could affect only the MPE
>  machine though - we can both get to the same UNIX system on the same
>  customers network.

It is nearly impossible to diagnose a problem such as yours at a distance,
but I can say the following. Telnet is an extremely simple protocol, thus things
either tend to work or they don't. There isn't much of a middle ground.

In QCTerm, we return only two telnet errors:

     o Connection refused
     o Connection timed out

The first error is an active error and is returned immediately. The most
common two causes of that refusal are that (i) telnet is not running on the host
machine (the most common form of the refusal on MPE, but virtually unheard of
on any other system), or (ii) the telnet service is being actively blocked by a
firewall or on the host.

In either case, in a "connection refused", you touched the host and your
connection is being actively refused.

The other error, "connection timed out," only appears after a minute or so,
and it indicates that QCTerm never made contact with the intended host. The
most common reasons for this error are that (i) you've misspecified the address,
(ii) your internet connection is down, or (iii) the intended host is currently
off-line.

But that's it for the telnet errors in QCTerm. Your "connection refused"
error means that the host is alive but doesn't like your request. As mentioned by
others earlier, the most likely causes are:

     o telnet isn't running (the JINETD job isn't active)
     o the telnet service has been disabled in SERVICES list
     o your IP address isn't in the allowed range of accepted addresses, as
specified in either an external firewall or the INETDSEC file.

Wirt Atmar