UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stephen Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:21:24 -0500
Dr. Churnet,

I thought that "the present was the key to the past" and that there is
evidence in the geologic record of periods of significantly greater
volcanic activity worldwide.  Is it impossible that large sedimentary
rock formations could be formed during such periods?

Even if this not the scenario under which Lookout Mountain itself was
actually formed, the bigger point in all of this is that 30 millions
years is not "required" to explain 300 meters of sedimentary rock.
There are alternate accumulation rates, other than 1 cm per 1000 years,
that are backed up by observation and have been reported in
NON-creationist peer-reviewed literature.

Catastrophic events such as earthquakes, volcanic activity, tsunamis and
hurricanes occur frequently in the present.  Is it reasonable to exclude
their profound effects when interpreting the past?  Assuming a rate of
sedementation that is roughly linear and constant may not treat the
problem appropriately.

The results are only as good as the assumptions.

I have tried to make this point as clear as possible.  Hope this helps.
I'm going back to work now.

Stephen