UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Gregory O'Dea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gregory O'Dea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:15:42 -0500
Colleagues,

I, too, am alarmed by Bill 432. In fact, I find it to be monkey business of
the highest order. Here's why:

1. The impetus for the bill clearly comes from outside of the State of
Tennessee (a number of other state legislatures have considered or are
considering bills that use remarkably similar language to promote remarkably
similar interests). It is thus not primarily a response to concerns
expressed by citizens of this state. Rather, as Richard Rice and others have
noted, the bill originates with "Students for Academic Freedom," a national
group founded by conservative ideologue David Horowitz. At age 66, Horowitz
is far from being a college student. The bill is not what its sponsors
represent it to be, but part of an unusually effective national lobbying
effort - it is pre-packaged legislation by subscription.

2. By its very existence, the bill assumes that institutions of higher
education have established no grievance processes, and are unwilling to do
so on their own. As President Peterson has noted, however, the UT system
does already have very clear policies and processes in place to address the
issues outlined in the bill. (Richard Rice points specifically to the UTC
Handbook, Section 5.3.1.) That's what happens when one puts forward
pre-packaged, ideological legislation: reality gets ignored in favor of
political grandstanding. Should students be able to file complaints when
they are treated unfairly? Of course, and they can. Should a particular wing
of the government create the appearance of wrongdoing and then take credit
for fixing it? Of course not. That's just political Munchausen by Proxy.

3. As Gavin Townsend points out, like the most recent draft of the THEC
"Master Plan," the bill assumes that the goal of higher education is limited
to training a work force. Like Gavin, I would argue that we are also charged
with educating citizens. It's a vital distinction, though these activities
are not mutually exclusive. It's important that our future engineers are
trained in fluid dynamics and electrical circuit design; it's important that
our future nurses know their facts about physiology and best clinical
practices. But many of us (like me) were hired to teach in what Jillian
Klean Zwilling has called the "gray areas" of interpretation, argument, and
debate. We raise controversial subjects, not to indoctrinate students in any
particular ideology, but to expose them to a range of ideas and to help them
sort through the complexities of what has been said and how it has been
said - all with the aim of equipping them to enter into important debates
effectively and intelligently, and to move understanding forward. This is
difficult territory to navigate in the classroom, but it is necessary for
every educated citizen to traverse that territory. Jim Hiestand has said
that Bill 432 is intended to "keep us focused," that he was hired to teach
engineering, not interpretation. I was hired to teach interpretation. This
is a problem, apparently, for the bill's authors.

Greg O'Dea

--
Dr. Gregory O'Dea
UC Foundation Associate Professor of English