UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:13:31 -0500
Several have asked about our current policy on faculty-student conduct. You
will find it in the Faculty Handbook, Chapter 5 under 5.3.1. Here are the
relevant excerpts: see the handbook on our web for the other clauses
regarding grading, student responsibilities, and so forth:

5.3.1.    Faculty/Student Relationships in the Classroom
     The following statements cover important aspects of the University's
understanding of expectations for student/faculty relationships in the
classroom and its general philosophy governing student rights and
responsibilities.

Freedom of Expression.  Free and pertinent discussion is welcome at the
University.  Students should feel free to take reasoned exception to the
data or views offered in any course of study and to reserve judgment about
matters of opinion.  They are responsible, however, for learning the
content of any course of study for which they are enrolled.

Academic Evaluation.  Faculty are expected to evaluate student performance
honestly and professionally, based solely on academic considerations and
not on opinions or conduct in matters unrelated to academic standards...

Academic Disputes.  Complaints or grievances will arise occasionally in the
faculty-student relationship and should be clarified at the earliest
possible time and at the level closest to the locus of the
complaint.  Students who have such complaints are urged to address them
directly to the faculty member in an appropriate setting.  It is understood
that some issues may need to be addressed to the nearest administrator,
generally the department or program unit head.  Every effort should be made
to resolve such matters informally by conversation.  A matter unresolved on
the departmental level may be brought to the appropriate dean and, after
that, the provost.  Specific policies for grade appeals and for allegations
of sexual harassment are found elsewhere in this hand book and the Student
Handbook.

Note that our current policy advises addressing the faculty member, and
hardly a semester goes by where a student does not email me or come in for
a talk about something we read or I said in class. Often, with the
student's permission, and without identifying them, I will take the issue
back to the classroom for an open discussion. To me this is an appropriate
response, and seldom has a student gone further and taken  a complaint to
the department head.

To advocate going to a local organization or a national grievance center
seems likely to stifle critical discussion of important (controversial)
issues without actually resolving the complaint. I foresee potential abuse
as a student might feel a bad grade reflects on an opinion that student
might hold in opposition to the faculty member. I feel sure Jim Hiestand
will not advocate an anonymous grievance process.

Richard