UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Melissa Burchfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Burchfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:49:34 -0500
Dr. Hiestand:

For your discipline it is perhaps clear and easy to limit yourself to
matters that are not open to controversy, but for teachers of freshman
composition (and many other subjects), it is obligatory to discuss issues
about which there is disagreement so that students can learn to craft
arguments.  I cannot teach ways to make effective written arguments without
something to argue about.

I have often had students who could not (or would not) understand the
distinction between a criticism of the effectiveness of their arguments for
a particular belief and a criticism/attack on the belief itself.  It's much,
much easier for a student to convince himself that a particular paper earned
a D or an F because I disagreed with the ideas than because it was poorly
written.  I have often awarded poor grades to badly-written papers that
agreed with my own beliefs, and vice versa, but probably most of the
students interpret these grades as "she liked (or disliked) my paper," and,
by extension, that I agreed with or disagreed with their positions on the
issue at hand.  I'm sure, for example, that many of them believe me to be an
atheist and a heathen because I tell them that "proving" something by
quoting the Bible as an authority is not an effective argument if their
audience extends beyond their own Sunday school classes.

I expect this legislation to become a nightmare for teachers whose
disciplines demand dealing with controversial issues.  Professors of
rhetoric, political science, philosophy, religion, and many other
disciplines have good cause to be alarmed.

Melissa Burchfield