UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:18:55 -0500
Don't feel bad for the astronomers, Eric.  They'll be able to staff the
astrology courses, which, to judge from number of column-inches in any
newspaper, can also make a strong bid for the pop psychology  and business
forecasting audience.

And please, don't let's forget the anti-Darwinist biology of T.D. Lysenko
and I.V. Michurin.  Those two wielded more actual power than the
neo-creationists are ever likely to, becoming partly responsible in the
process for the collapse of Soviet agriculture in the 1930s, not to mention
the liquidation of countless Russian biologists who clung to Darwin's
bourgeois theories.

At 10:21 AM 3/28/2005 -0500, Eric B. Wolf wrote:
>>Should the equal time for competing views legislation be passed by
>>Nashville, perhaps our departments of science, geology, physics, and so on
>>should consider adoption of Wise's book in their course readings -- or
>>would Genesis suffice? Court battles and more legislation will sort this
>>out: welcome to the academy.
>
>If we get to teach competing views, then I can start Intro to GIS or
>Maps and Map Interpretation by stating the Earth is flat. This
>eliminates all the problems geographers have had with messy map
>projections. Of course, I feel sorry for the folks in Astronomy - the
>math for retrograde motion of the planets, assuming an Earth-centered
>universe, is much worse than eliptical orbits around the Sun.
>
>The one department this doesn't affect is Philosophy and Religion. It's
>always been their job to teach all views. Or does this mean that they
>have to teach Hinduism as it it viewed by Christians and Christianity as
>it is view by Hindus?
>
>And how does this affect the 120-hour rule?
>
>-Eric Wolf
>CECA GIS Geek

Fritz W. Efaw, SB, AAdipl, PhD,
Rose of Cimarron Distinguished