UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Jennifer Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:53:50 -0500
Linda Collins sent an announcement a few weeks back regarding the
upcoming Chattanooga Conference on Southern Literature (produced by the
Arts and Education Council), and I wanted to echo her enthusiasm for the
conference, which will be held next week March 31-April 2.

I have attended since 1999 (when I first moved back to Chattanooga) and
actually decided to attend graduate school at UTC after coming to campus
for the conference. So, I can attest, personally, that this conference
brings great recognition to this campus and the entire Chattanooga
community.  I encourage all who are interested in both reading and
writing to attend some of the events and to support this great event -
the author line up is outstanding this year, with recent Pulitzer Prize
winner Edward P. Jones giving the Sat. luncheon address.

Below are more details, as well as a link to the conference schedule:

Hosted biennially by the Arts & Education Council, the Chattanooga
Conference on Southern Literature will bring more than 25 distinguished
Southern authors to Chattanooga to participate in panel discussions,
book signings, keynote addresses, writer residencies in local schools,
and more.  This year's Friday night keynote address will be given by
beloved writer Reynolds Price, and there will be a Saturday luncheon
address with Pulitzer Prize winner Edward P. Jones. Other participating
writers include Kaye Gibbons, Dorothy Allison, Allan Gurganus, George
Garrett, Fred Chappell, Lee Smith, Jill McCorkle, Allen Wier, and Barry
Hannah.

The conference provides a unique atmosphere for attendees to mingle with
visiting authors, and this year's theme -- "The South: A Community of
Outsiders"--will likely inspire lively dialogue among the authors at
panel discussions. If you haven't attended in the past, you have missed
out on a unique conference that brings national recognition to
Chattanooga.

You can learn more about the conference, review the schedule, and
register by visiting the Arts & Education Council website:
www.artsedcouncil.org <http://www.artsedcouncil.org/>

Volunteers Needed:  The conference can't happen without the help of
volunteers - and volunteers get 50% off registration fees.  If you are
interested in volunteering (or know someone who would be interested),
contact the AEC asap (volunteer training is Thurs., March 24th).  This
is a great opportunity to help out with a great event and attend at a
lower price!  For more information, please email Leah at
[log in to unmask]  Or call (423) 267-1218.

Jennifer Hoff

Grant Consultant

Office of Grants and Program Review

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga