UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Mike Whittle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Whittle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:35:37 -0500
On Sunday afternoon, I plan to hike the southern portion of Shackleford Ridge
Park's "Yellow Trail" - which isn't in the Park at all! It runs south to Edwards
Point - a spectacular viewpoint over the Tennessee River, very suitable for a
picnic, if the weather cooperates.  I will be mapping the trail, to add it to my
website, "The Trails of Signal Mountain"
http://www.utc.edu/Michael-Whittle/trails.htm
If you would like to join me on the walk, you are most welcome.  I will be
leaving from the junction of Edwards Point Road and Hassler Road - see map at
http://www.utc.edu/Michael-Whittle/Maps/NewMap.gif - at 1:00pm, unless the
weather is horrible (and the forecast suggests it will be OK)!
I THINK I know roughly where the trail runs (as shown on the map).  It is 2.2
miles from the starting point to Edwards Point (and the same distance back!),
making a round trip of around 4½ miles.  The gradients look from the map to be
fairly gentle!  I imagine it will take around 2 hours, or a little more.  You
are welcome to bring children, providing a) they are able to walk this far
without problems, and b) you realize that Edwards Point has an unguarded drop of
about a thousand feet, and is thus a very dangerous place!  Obviously, if you
come along, it is at your own risk.
In order to map the trail, I will be carrying two Global Positioning Satellite
receivers (GPSr), which store location information, for subsequent transfer to a
computer mapping program.  If you have a GPSr, you might want to bring it along!
If the weather is dubious, I suggest you call me at home (886-4164) before
setting out.
--
Michael W. Whittle, MD, PhD
Cline Chair of Rehabilitation Technology (#3253)