UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:06:03 -0500
Colleagues:

Last fall we had a brief discussion on the problems humans will face as
global oil production peaks, and we find ourselves on the downward slope of
global oil reserves.  On Monday of this week (3/14) conservative congressman
Dr. Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD) gave a presentation on the House floor describing
the conundrum we now find ourselves regarding increasing oil prices and the
very real problem of limited global supplies of this critical natural
resource.  If you have the time (and it does take time to read the full
transcript of an hour long presentation!) and would like to learn a great
deal about the problem of "Peak Oil" check out a transcript of Dr.
Bartlett's presentation (sans graphics) at the "Energy Bulletin" web page:

http://www.energybulletin.net/4733.html

Dr. Bartlett also discusses potential options we must begin to enable if we
want to avoid potential population crashes due to lost agricultural
production in a post-Peak Oil world.  This is heady stuff and very
refreshing to hear coming from a conservative Congressman!

Take care,

Henry Spratt

Henry G. Spratt, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598

Ph: (423)425-4383