UTCSTAFF Archives

March 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:22:35 -0500
Joe,
I'm forwarding a copy of an e'memorandum I sent you last Thursday, which I
think you may have overlooked, judging from one you posted yesterday.  The
figures I quoted were from UTK information that I believe was provided by
Sylvia Davis at the behest of Rep. Harry Tindell.  If you have questions
about the details you may want to direct them to Ms Davis.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the disparity in the numbers you refer
to may represent the difference between the cost to the employer (UT) and
the taxable income of the employee.  This difference would include, for
example, employer FICA contributions and certain fringe benefits such as a
portion of health insurance.

I'm never quite sure when your attention to trivial detail is intended as a
misdirection and when it is the result of failure to understand broader
concepts.  For example, last Thanksgiving when there was a discussion of
human capital and the efficiency of markets for debt financing of human
capital investment, you made the point that a person could always obtain an
education loan somewhere.  The broader point you continually missed was
that efficiency is a state of optimality, and achieving it requires
satisfying conditions at the margin.  This is straight orthodox
neoclassical economics, not Marxist eco-babble.  I could provide a Marxist
analysis, but it would look very different.

Fritz.