HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:15:35 +0100
Tim Cummings wrote:

> I find it amazing that HP creates a utility (VOLUTIL) for one
> and only one OS (MPE) that will copy everything BUT MPE native mode
> volumes.

While I haven't used VOLUTIL COPYVOL or COPYSET myself,
I suspect they will work for user volume sets, as long as
you make sure to :VSCLOSE them to get the volumes into the
non-mounted LONER state that Denys quoted from the docs.

Getting the target volumes into UNKNOWN or SCRATCH state
also shouldn't be a problem. Either use fresh disks, like
in your case (state UNKNOWN) or re-use some volumes that
have been used with MPE before by doing VOLUTIL SCRATCHVOL
(possibly after VSCLOSE-ing their respective set).

The main issue that I see is that the copying is done at
the "raw" volume level. It will not only "waste" resources
by copying used as well as unused disc sectors, but much
more important, it will most likely rely on source and
target volume being exactly the same disk size!

Maybe VOLUTIL COPYVOL was handy in the days of 7937 disk
drives, but in the XP/VA context the other approach (using
two different volume set names and moving group by group
with MPEX or store-to-disk) sounds more flexible to me.

Lars.

PS... And yes, VOLUTIL will not copy the system volume set
disks, because you cannot get them into a non-mounted state
easily (except maybe by booting from another disk with yet
another system volume set).