HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:52:25 -0500
Jim Phillips wrote:
> I have acquired several BayStack 350F-HD switches that
> I wanted to use to replace our HP AdvanceStack hubs
> (because the BayStack's are 10/100 autosensing and are
> switches as opposed to hubs).  The BayStack comes with
> 24 RJ45 ports and two fiber-optic ports.  The HP hubs
> have the same RJ45 ports plus the fiber-optic module
> installed.  The fiber is important because that is our
> LAN backbone.
>
> As I said, I wanted to use these BayStack's to replace
> the HP's, but I can't.  And the reason is because when
> I plug the fiber-optic into the BayStack, there is no
> connectivity to the hub on the other end of the fiber.
>  It appears that the fiber-optic ports are just for
> "normal" network connections and not for backbone
> connections, or daisy-chaining to another hub.

Hmmm... I have a BS350 in my office, but unfortunately I'm in Nashville
at the moment.  I'll try guessing from memory :-)

Check the configuration of the switch.  IIRC the 350 can support vlans
and can trunk the uplinks with 802.1Q tagging.  It is possible that it
is trying to tag the outgoing packets; but then hat do you mean by "no
connectivity"?  No link light?  Assume you tried reversing xmit/receive?
What are you uplinking it to?  be sure the receiving port is in
agreement regarding tagging or not.

We used the 350s for awhile in two labs, uplinking to a Cisco, no
problems.  If you're still stuck, drop me a line Friday, I'll be back
then and can pull the old 350 out of retirement for reference.

Jeff