HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:16:24 -0500
Joshi B wrote:
> Since the people who use the list aren't generally internet savey
Hold on there, caballero... That's hardly fair to most of us. As for
Patrick, I get the impression that he does know his way around a couple
other OSs, as well as other mailing lists, within his fifteen plus years of
experience. In fact, in my experience explaining MPE to admins of other
systems, the biggest hindrance to learning is knowledge. By this I mean that
those who have trouble understanding MPE have trouble because they are using
what they already know not as an analogy, but as a prison for their minds.
I'm guessing that Patrick will use his knowledge to reason by analogy, since
so far he has not regaled us with posts insisting that MPE ought to be more
like sumotherOS, which reliably fails in predictable ways, but on which
everyone knows how to read the crash dumps to find out who logged on during
the backup.

> One thing you might want to be aware of is that your name and email
> are getting relayed to the comp.sys.hp.mpe usenet group when you reply
> to the list.  Groups like that are regularly harvested for spam lists
> by things called spambots.
Which I'm pretty sure Patrick learned at some point in his fifteen plus
years. If not, he probably learned it within some fifteen minutes of his
first post.

> Anyone who puts information like that out in the clear is nuts.
Hello, anyone and everyone! I've seen a move toward non-business addresses.
Wirt has commended AOL for managing to filter spam effectively enough for
his liking. donna now uses a yahoo address. I finally bought my spamcop
address, which by virtue of being a spamcop address has reduced the amount
of spam I get, and they hold more than half of what I do get. You're using
an address managed by pobox.com. Several list members manage their own email
servers (I play a role in managing my employer's, but do not yet run one at
home), apparently effectively enough that they post from addresses which
they also manage.

> The gateway between the list and the group has been quite sick for a
> while, and apparently will be shut down entirely.
Did I miss a post?

> But it has been
> quite reliable at sending messages from the list to the group, allowing
> valid email addresses to be exposed.
These days, that is hard to avoid. I've seen a listserv I participated in
get web-archived after I had unsubscribed. After a post to
msnews.microsoft.com, I see a rash of Nigerian scam and European lottery
spam, presumably because of any one of several web archives of it.

Greg Stigers