HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
"Newton, Ernie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Newton, Ernie
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:37:21 -0800
Greetings,

I know eventually I'll have to just let this go.  Maybe I'll
need some therapy...

I believe I have found the process that was used to create this
tape, and others I have that give the same error.  If this sounds
vague, it's because our department didn't create these tapes.  We
took over support for the HP3000 community from a different entity
about ten years ago, well after this data was put on tape.

And as noted in earlier replies, these tapes are closer to fifteen
years old...not twenty.

The store process used for these tapes is normal, but with the
following parameters..."INTER;MAXTAPEBUF;COMPRESS"...The entity
that did this used the old upright, manual-feed type tape drive,
(they're still on OS 5.5), and I'm using a 7980S to read those
tapes.  IIRC, the 7980 came into being in the late 80's.

Anyway...could there be some issues with the three parameters listed
above that would cause my 7980, or even my RESTORE program to
act stupid? I don't even know what "INTER" does.  BTW I'm on OS 6.5 PP3.

Thanks again for any ideas...

Ernie