HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Dave Oksner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Oksner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:36:26 -0800
Just a couple of complains about this entry (not that you wrote it; I've
seen most of these before; it's even mentioned on snopes.com).

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:20:26PM -0500, Michael Baier wrote:
> In Honor of Stupid People
<snip>

> On Boot's Children Cough Medicine -- "Do not drive a car or operate
> machinery after taking this medication."
> (We could do a lot to reduce the rate of constru ction accidents if we
> could just get those 5-year-olds with head-colds off those forklifts.)

Yeah, well, just because it says that it's for Children doesn't prevent
adults from taking it.  And if you don't have the warnings, the lawsuits
will follow...

> On Sainsbury's peanuts -- "Warning: contains nuts."
> (talk about a news flash)

Except that peanuts aren't nuts.  They're legumes.  So if you're alergic
to nuts, but not peanuts, this is potentially life-saving information.

The reverse is true of the Costco jar of "Extra Fancy Mixed Nuts."  It proudly
proclaimed "no peanuts" on the front, but on the back, the ingredients
listed peanut oil (for the roasting).  Someone alergic to peanuts might
not realize that the info on the front was to indicate quality ("no cheap
peanuts were used as filler") and think that it was alergy info.  This
is no longer a part of the packaging and specific alergy info has been
added to the back.

Dave

--
+----David Oksner-----http://www.case.net/-----+
|Handy Guide to Modern Science:                |