HP3000-L Archives

February 2005, Week 2

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:11:44 -0800
> >Why then is vCSY still enhancing/improving as opposed to just handling
bug
> >reports?  Could it be that the strategy was and still is
> >
> >1) announce the death of the e3k (implying the death of MPE), sell lots
of
> >HPUX boxes.
> >2) once 123106 rolls around, announce a new HPUX product, MPEmulator, so
> >they get to sell us MPE all over again, but this one runs on current
> >hardware, and it doesn't have to do EVERYthing MPE would, just the
> >very-widely used stuff.  Prolly still has to be HP hardware
> and HP-UX, too, for maximum $ transfer.
> >
> >Pretty holey theory I suppose, but I'd sure love to discover that HP was
> >actually thinking not just of short-term shareholder return, but of
> >shareholders, customers, and long-term.
>
> Maybe vCSY is still enhancing/improving because there are still people at
> HP who want to do right by their customers.
> --
> Tom Brandt
> Northtech Systems, Inc.
> 130 S. 1st Street, Suite 220
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1343
> http://www.northtech.com/

We know there are such people at HP, and we know some of them are in vCSY,
and I for one am sure glad that HP culture can't wreck everybody.  But
personal wishes don't always mix well with HP's wishes, as is so often noted
in HP folks' email disclaimers.

Obviously I'm guessing, maybe just wishing, but it would make a bit more
sense to keep going with the enhancement of MPE if HP envisions some kind of
profitable future.  I have trouble believing that HP corporate would
encourage or even permit continued enhancement of a truly dead product, even
under a generalized translation of "Supported until 123106"

Tracy