UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Dawn Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:17:34 -0500
Join us for a talk on Network Security
Carey Nachenberg, Symantec Research Labs
February 17, 2005

Speaker:                Carey Nachenberg, Symantec
Subject:                The Evolving Computer Virus Threat
Date/Time:      Thursday, February 17, 2005 @ 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Where:                  UTC, Engineering, Mathematic & Computer Science
(EMCS) Benwood Auditorium
Contact:        Dawn Ellis, (423) 425-4384

Abstract:
This talk will study the evolution of computer viruses and consider the
future virus threats we are likely to encounter.  In addition, it will take
an in-depth look at anti-virus technologies, present and future, to better
understand how our computer countermeasures will have to change to provide
adequate protection against tomorrow's viruses.  Finally, we will discuss
how written and software-enforced policy changes can help to dramatically
reduce the computer virus problem.  Over the past twenty years, computer
viruses have evolved from simple computer programs capable of spreading on a
single PC to complex software worms which can ravage entire computer
networks.  Today, our computing infrastructure is more vulnerable than ever
before due to a convergence of four key factors.  First, the world
population of computers is more homogeneous than ever before, creating a
computing "monoculture".  Second, our computing systems are more connected
than ever before, enabling a fast spreading virus to rapidly infect millions
of machines.  Third, our computers are more programmable than ever before,
even novice users can create malicious code that can control virtually every
aspect of the computer system.  Finally, the hardware and software platforms
used by big business and the home user are converging, lowering the bar to
build and test malicious software.

About the Speaker:
Carey Nachenberg, Chief Architect of Symantec Research Labs has been an
innovator at Symantec Corporation for the past fourteen years.  As Chief
Architect, Mr. Nachenberg helps to set the technological agenda for the
company's research division and investigates new technologies across the
computer security space.  Nachenberg has contributed to four books including
Internet Security Professional Reference and Windows NT Server 4:  Security,
Troubleshooting and Optimization and has published articles in numerous
publications including Virus Bulletin, Secure Computing, and Communications
of the ASM.  He holds BS and MS degrees in Computer Science and Engineering
from the University of California at Los Angeles.  His Masters thesis covers
the topic of polymorphic computer virus detection.

Sponsored by:
UT SimCenter at Chattanooga
UTC's Department of Computer Science
IEEE Computer Society,
UTC's Student Branch of the IEEE Computer Society