UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Stephen Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:10:21 -0500
To my fellow Ravens,

Judging from the reaction, one would think that I walked onto the center
of campus and started pelting people with snowballs.  This university
prides itself on the open and free exchange of ideas.  Did I miss the
memo that only certain ideas are acceptable for discussion and dissent?
Can we not discuss things in a civil manner?  Are we truly as unbiased
and enlightened as we think we are? Instead of worrying about the
objections of students in the "academic freedom bill", maybe we should
be worried about the objections of the faculty.

The underlying intent of my original email was to clarify a statement
that Richard made (specifically that creationists would object to a law
of physics) about the "academic freedom bill".  Although I understood
his concern, I felt his statement unintentionally misrepresented the
issue, and I wanted to dispel typical stereotypes about the views that
creationist scientists hold.  I expected and received both supporting
and dissenting opinions, and I respected them all even if I did not
agree with them all.

While responding to another email, I digressed and tried to tackle
quickly but not exhaustively the very large topic of evolution in
general and radiometric dating in specific.  Granted it's impossible to
explain these topics completely in a single email.  Volumes have been
written, and no concrete conclusion exists because the assumptions that
support the theories are just that---assumptions.  Some of the
assumptions may be good, and some may be bad.  We just don't know.  When
it gets right down to it, neither side can prove itself or disprove the
other. Both sides of the debate can produce data that supports its cause
while opposing the other.   Each side can perform and observe repeatable
experiments to support their theory, but neither side can correctly
claim the prize.  Well, it looks like Professor Geevarghese has just
beat me to the punch.  In retrospect, I surmise that I should have been
much nore deliberate from the outset in expressing my views like
Professor Geevarghese has just done.  Since we can't prove these issues
directly, each one of us must decide what to believe.  Regardless of
your stance on theism, atheism, creation, or evolution, it is
essentially a matter of where each one of us puts his or her faith.
Further, it is that faith which colors the way we see the world and
interpret what we see in it in much the same way as seasoning our food
before we ever taste it.  I ask again: are we truly as unbiased and
enlightened as we think we are?

Instead of continuing this stimulating debate on creation and evolution
on Raven, I invite interested individuals to email your questions,
statements, and comments directly to me, but don't bother me with
childish sarcasm and name calling.  Only responsibly acting adults need
apply.

Stephen