UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:49:07 -0500
Mike Roeser wrote:
> I do not understand why there cannot be objective discussions on Raven
> without people getting "deeply insulted" over ones views or beliefs.
> Lighten up!

For real.  Other people have their own viewpoints.  It is okay to disagree, even
pointedly ... but don't be so quick to take it personally.  If I took personal
offense every time someone on this campus disagreed with me, I'd be so torqued
off I couldn't see straight.  The whole point of this list is to share
information and views, and we ought to be able to give and take in the arena of
ideas without getting too upset.

Remember, you have the right to free speech, the right to freedom of religion,
the right to defend yourself if physically attacked, ... (many other rights :)
... but you *don't* have the right not to be offended.  If you are easily
offended ... maybe it's time to create an inbox filter for RAVEN messages!

Joe

--
"One man with courage is a majority." -- Thomas Jefferson