UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Anthony Steinhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Steinhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:15:10 -0500
All in all, I would agree with many of my colleagues who have characterized
the calendar reform ideas as an important step forward.  However, in looking
over the model for Spring Semester (again using 2006 as an example) I would
point out that one of the versions still does not meet one of the
"obligatory" provisions of an acceptable calendar -- namely, it proposes a
semester of only 69 days of instruction.  Indeed, the only way that the "70
mark" is reached is to move spring break to coincide with the "Good Friday"
holiday.  This is, in itself, a laudable idea; however, as Joe Dumas rightly
pointed out, it would mean that Spring Break would fall much too late in the
Semester.  So, this part of the calendar remains in need of a "fix."

Some might think that this is a minor point, but having Fall and Spring
semesters of different lengths (which, alas, is already the situation)
presents logistical and instructional hurdles for faculty teaching the same
course in both semesters.

Dr. Anthony J. Steinhoff
Assistant Professor, Modern European History
Department of History
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

tel: 423/425-4581